Tuesday, April 5, 2016

April 5

Sorry for the long wait, I've been busy. But in all that time not writing on this blog I listened to a lot of music and watched a few movies, and read a book or two. First off, music and books, because books are connected to music today. I read this great book called Fargo Rock City, by Chuck Klosterman. Its about the author's upbringing in Minnesota, and heavy metal. But not really heavy metal, its more about glam metal. So a few weeks ago I listened to some bands he talked about in the book. W.A.S.P's first album was a highlight, especially songs, Fuck Like A Beast and I Want To Be Somebody. Also, I listened to a lot of Judas Priest, which admittedly more heavy than other glam rock. Highest are album Killing Machine, and Stained Class. Motel Crue is good also. top track IMO is She Goes Down. Finally the best glam metal album of all time, Appetite for Destruction, there really is no other glam metal that tops this album, any who wants to argue, comment. After I was through with that I moved on to what most would say is, "better," music. And for the most part, I agree. Ive been listening to a lot of Weezer, in preparation for their new album, which, by the way, is going to be amazing, I hope. Blue Album Pinkerton and Green Album are all good, everything else, disregarding a few songs from Everything Will Be Alright, is horrible. Also, check out albums that never were for songs from the black hole, which has some cool alternate versions of Pinkerton songs. Furthermore, I got back into Steely Dan, after too long. The last time I really listened to them in earnest was in the fall, but now I'm back. They are probably the best band in the jazz rock genre, Blood Sweat and Tears is good, but its not as listenable, and Chicago is overplayed, and the discography is too massive, 36 albums, come on, thats enough. Great Steely Dan tracks are as follows, all of Aja, Don't take Me Alive, off Scam, Gaucho, (song) and side two of Katy Lied lastly, Haitian Divorce from Scam is killer, great Talk Box guitar, and vocals, and general atmosphere, Ill try to put up a lesson for that too, but ill have to sound it out. For anyone interested, I will be posting a video lesson for Deacon Blues, a cool jazzy song, buts its very long, and the chords are very weird, its best done fingerpicked, but strumming words well too. Look out for that this week. Next, is High On Fire. These are one of the few respectable modern thrash bands. They're are very heavy, and pretty stoner-y, lead guitarist also plays for sludge masterminds Sleep. I haven't listened to anything but their 2007 album Death is this Communion, which is really good, very bassy. Okay, moving on, Movies. First off, I watched the Blue Mountain State movie, which an hour and half of complete garbage, but it was very funny, in a stupid juvenile way. Moving on, I watched the warriors, a movie from 1979 about gangs in New York, and its not the Scorsese flick Gangs Of New York. Its very stylized and the costumes are sarcastic. Its well directed and artsy. Also I rewatcted Nightcrawler, which is phenomenal. It's not only has an interesting story, but the charters are believable and all twisted in their own ways, and the art direction is very cool: the artificial light of the LA nighttime, the  cars, the gear, it's all very stylish. Furthermore, good performance by Gyllenhaal. I also watched the original Fast and Furious. For all the hate the series, rightfully, receives, the first movie was acceptable, for anyone into cars, it should be required watching, also the chase sequences are cool, and for anyone looking to receive their days in the early 2000's the clothing and music and overall aesthetic are very convincing. Finally, I watched Interstellar. Interstellar was a masterpiece. You may think I'm being sarcastic, but Im not. I loved interstellar, it was probably my favorite Nolan movie. Good performance by McCouhnahey, I know I spelled that wrong, and by Anne Hathaway. In my opinion there was way too much crying, but it's too be expected. I really enjoyed the plot, and the science of the whole thing was interesting, so much so that it convinced me to go back to reading science fiction. This brings me to my next topic. I read Leviathan Wakes, a fairly recent book. Its the first in a series of space operas by James A Corey. very realistic characters and breakneck story. Its a quick read, took me 3 days, but there are like 5 sequels. Then I started Ringworld, the 1970 opus of Larry Niven. I haven't finished yet, but I plan to get a lot of reading done in the next week, as I'm going on vacation. But so far, it a good book, very Hard SF, which is exactly what I was looking for, big science concepts, and equations etc. The dialogue and some of the characters' actions is fairly ridiculous, and will make readers laugh out loud. However, its a good book, its kind of dense though. All this space stuff dragged me back into Floyd. Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun, off Saucer is a a very cool song, also, the rest of the album is pretty space-y, for Barret fans, check out obvious choices, Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive, both off Piper. Echoes, to a lesser extent, as its more nature, kind of like an alien world. Also, for a good playlist, look at the transcendentalist post. Video lessons will be on soon, and Ill probably make another post next Sunday, or maybe during next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment